Today, November 13, 2019 is World Kindness Day! This is one of my favorite days of the year, because I’m a big fan of being kind, teaching others to be kind and kindness in general. I mean who isn’t? Well, unfortunately, not everyone is. It’s just the world we live in these days. But the only thing I can do about it, is spread the word and attempt to live my life being kind. I feel I’ve taught my kids to be kind at home with their words, and actions and at school as well. I teach them to go the extra mile. Hold the door open a little longer, pick up something someone dropped, share the salt shaker with the table behind you, smile! Such easy stuff! And I hope they teach their children to be kind as well.
So on this day, I thought I would share a little bit about what World Kindness day is from Inspire Kindness. Plus, us adults need a reminder from time to time to just SLOW DOWN and do something nice for someone now and again!
World Kindness Day is a global day that promotes the importance of being kind to each other, to yourself, and to the world. This day, celebrated on November 13 of each year, has the purpose is to help everyone understand that compassion for others is what binds us all together. This understanding has the power to bridge the gap between nations.
Ways to Be Kind
Here’s a quick list also by Inspire Kindness:
“Being kind doesn’t need to look or be extravagant. Sometimes the simplest things make the most significant difference! Here are a few simple ideas and ways to be helpful on World Kindness Day in the workplace, at school, with your loved ones, or even while out running errands. Look for opportunities while you go through your day to infuse kindness into someone’s day. It’ll change their day and yours for the better!”
- Smile when you walk by others
- Write positive messages on post-it notes and leave them for people to find
- Call a relative you haven’t spoken to in a while
- Tidy up around your house
- Pick up trash you see on the ground outside and throw it in a garbage can
- Hold the door open for someone
- Chat with a stranger and ask them about their day
- Pay for a stranger’s coffee or meal
- Compliment someone
- Send a positive or encouraging text to five people in your contacts
- Surprise someone with flowers
- Tell a family member or friend you love them
- Write a note on the receipt at a restaurant for your server
- Offer to help with someone’s errands
- Give a surprise gift to someone you care about
- Send a kind card or note to a friend
- Surprise co-workers with home-baked cookies or treats
- Plant a tree
- Spend less time on your phone and more time with people you care about
- Organize a workplace giving campaign
- Offer a classmate help with homework
- Talk to someone new
- Practice gratitude
- Give someone a hug
These all sound like some pretty easy ways to be kind! So get out there, (the day isn’t over yet!) and spread some KINDNESS & enjoy the rest of your day!